Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Need a Little Help, God Bless

In the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus tells of a time when the blessed will be invited to, “inherit the kingdom,” because, “I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.

The righteous respond confused, “But when did we see you thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick or in prison?

The answer, “When you did it to one of the least of these, you did it to me.

Jesus’ words challenge me. Recently I had to tell a homeless woman she couldn't camp in the church parking lot. I offered her prayer and money for a tow truck. Hardly enough considering her great need. I keep a handful of Powerbars in my car and offer them to the men I see with cardboard signs reading: “Need a little help. God bless,” at the freeway exits. I know it's not enough? What is, or could be. I wonder.


When did I see you Jesus? Are you the man standing at the freeway off-ramp with a cardboard sign?
Need a little help. God bless.”

When did I see you Jesus? Are you the single mom with a blown head gasket and no way to get to work?
“Need a little help. God bless.”

When did I see you Jesus? Are you the son agonizing over his mother in the nursing home?
“Need a little help. God bless.”

When did I see you Jesus? Are you my friend’s aunt booked in county jail for drunk driving? “Need a little help. God bless.”

When did I see you Jesus? Are you the latchkey kid with a can of spray paint a blank wall and all afternoon?
“Need a little help. God bless.”

When did I see you Jesus? Are you my shut-in eighty-five year old neighbor with no children and an arthritic cat?
“Need a little help. God bless.”

When did I see you Jesus? Are you the orphan in West Angola eager for a hot breakfast and the alphabet at the Methodist school?
“Need a little help. God bless.”

When did I see you Jesus? Are you the Tsunami survivor, the Katrina survivor digging her possessions out of the mud?
“Need a little help. God bless.”

When did I see you Jesus? Are you the shopkeeper in Iraq with the shot out windows?
“Need a little help. God bless.”


“Need a little help. God bless.”
O Jesus, you are everywhere I go. In everyone I meet, you turn up with your empty hands and starving heart, wanting, needing. Your need is so great, I’m afraid it will consume me, will take everything I have until I’m all given out.
“Need a little help. God bless.”

Dear Jesus, how can I be faithful, how can I call myself Christian when there are times my compassion runs dry and I turn away? Those times I just can’t see you, just can’t know your pain. It is too much to bear.
“Need a little help. God bless.”

“Need a little help.”
And Jesus, you answer my questions with your life. You calm my fears with your words. You gave what you had––healing power, stories, parables, that pointed the way toward full living. You opened yourself to receive––meals, lodging, blessing. You said to give what I have––time, prayer, cash, compassion, my story––whatever it might be and I will receive an overflowing portion in return.
“God bless”.

You pressed your followers, your friends, your family into service for God, Jesus, but you didn’t send them alone. You sent them in twos and threes and later the first church communities were formed to do your work, together. Shoulder to shoulder sharing and bearing the burdens and the blessings.
“Need a little help. God bless.”

So Jesus, here I am, and not just me. Here we are. Jesus, we are here because of you. You have marked our lives, called us your own. You have left us with more to do than can ever be done. But you have also left us with indelible hope stamped on our hearts. In faith we thank you and offer our prayer.
“Need a little help. God bless.”

No comments: