Monday, November 05, 2007

When You Do This, Remember Me


This weekend I had the privilege of leading the program for the annual retreat of the United Methodist Women from Cambrian Park United Methodist Church in San Jose. We spent our time writing, sharing, crying, laughing, singing, eating and enjoying creation at beautiful Asilomar, in Pacific Grove. Thank you ladies. It was an honor.

Here are the words we shared with the cup and the bread Sunday morning, dedicated to these wonderful women:

When You Do This, Remember Me

“This is my body which is given for you. Do this to remember me.”
-Luke 22:19


When you do this, remember me. When you gather together and share the common loaf of your humanity, remember me.

When you tell each other the truth of your lives––mothers and fathers, husbands and children, born and unborn, who came to you and were lost to you in death or divorce, remember me.

When you sip together from the cup of grief and pain, remember me.
Likewise, when you laugh and dance and sing, when you raise your glasses and toast to world travels, the glories of nature, sex and chocolate, remember me.

When you remember me, remember one another. Sit down together and share the source of your hope.

Serve each other words to sustain and nourish your souls. For I have come that your life, your precious singular life, will overflow with my love.

Live abundantly. Do this in memory of me.

1 comment:

Rev. Judith's Journal said...

I know many of these ladies! I served there from '92-'96. I still hear from a couple of them from time to time. I'm so glad you were there to lead them and connect with them. Blessings received and given for sure!