Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Psalm 130

For August 13, 2006
Lectionary Year B
10th Sunday after Pentecost


Psalm 130

Everything’s a mess. God, do you hear me?
Do you see me here in the pits?
I’m crying all the time, and I’m crying to you.
My life isn’t working and there’s
no end in sight.

Help me, God, but please don’t inventory
all my mistakes and bad decisions.
I’m only human; don’t count that against me.
If you did, we’d all be sunk.

Thank God, thank you God, for forgiveness.
Without it, I’d never get out of the garbage heap.
And without forgiveness, it would be difficult
to think so highly of you.

I’m waiting for you God, not always patiently.
My soul is restless, it wants to be wrapped tight in yours
and like I said, my life is lousy.

All my hopes are pinned on you.
I’ve done everything in my power
and it’s not enough. So here I am
like an insomniac waiting for morning
so I can get on with it. But I’m waiting
with even more anticipation than that.
I won’t know who I am or what I’m supposed to do
until you get here.

Hey, everyone, I’ve bet everything I have
all that I am on God! God is where the hope is.
God’s the one with the power to melt hearts,
to change lives, to make enemies friends,
to right wrongs, to make something new
and beautiful from death and despair.
God’s the train. All aboard!


©Cathy Warner 2006

No comments: